The Liverpool star defender, Van Dijk, 28 years is the only EPL player shortlisted for the award after playing an influential role as they won the Champions League and UEFA Super Cup.
He also assisted his team finish second place in the Premier League and reached the UEFA Nations League final with Holland earlier in the summer, where they were beaten by Cristiano Ronaldo’s Portugal.
Lionel Messi finished top goalscorer in the UEFA Champions League and picked up the European Golden Shoe, as also won his 10th La Liga title with Barcelona.
Cristiano Ronaldo won his first Serie A title with Juventus after his £100m move from Real Madrid, where he scored 28 goals in his first spell with the Italian Champions.
He also led Portugal to Nations League glory, where he was named top scorer at the finals.
The winner of the award will be declared during the Champions League draw on August 29.
THE REST OF THE TOP 10 ARE AS FOLLOWS:
4) Alisson Becker (Liverpool & Brazil) – 57 points
5) Sadio Mane (Liverpool & Senegal) – 51 points
6) Mohamed Salah (Liverpool & Egypt) – 49 points
7) Eden Hazard (Chelsea/Real Madrid & Belgium) – 38 points
8) Matthijs de Ligt (Ajax/Juventus & Netherlands) – 27 points
9) Frenkie de Jong (Ajax/Barcelona & Netherlands) – 27 points
10) Raheem Sterling (Manchester City & England) – 12 points